Occupational Therapist & Counsellor - Elwyn ten Brink Phone 4352 8688
Community Occupational Therapist services include:
- Home and functional assessments
- Education of clients & carers on strategies to maximize home safety and function
- Recommendation, design and application for funding assistance for home modifications (both minor and major modifications)
- Recommendation of equipment/aids to maximize function, application for funding assistance as required
- Assessment and education in use of disability equipment and manual handling technique.
Counselling services include
- Grief and loss counselling, including separation and adjustment issues
- Personal development and training in stress and anxiety management
- Family, parenting and relationship enrichment counselling
- Solution-focused Therapy, Sensory Modulation, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Psycho-education and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy techniques utilised.
Elwyn provides bulk-billed services for those patients referred by their GP on Enhanced Primary Care Plans or on Mental Health Care Plans.
Elwyn also consults from rooms in the Toukley Family Practice 37 -41 Canton Beach Road Toukley.
Feast for Health - Dietitians
We have a new Dieitian consulting here at Tuggerah on a Wednesday who is more than happy to sit down and talk to you if you have any concerns in relation to any of the following issues:-
- Diabetes and Pre-diabetes
- Weight Loss
- High Cholesterol
- High Blood Pressure
- Weight Gain (difficulty gaining weight)
- Eating Difficulties (eg loss of appetite, taste changes, chewing/swallowing problems)
- Food Allergies and Intolerances
- Gut and Bowel Disorders (eg Irritable bowel, reflux, hiatus hernia, diverticulitis)
- Kidney Problems
- Childhood Nutrition (eg fussy eating, overweight etc)
- Athletes / Sports Nutrition
- General Healthy Eating
Matt Shanahan, Podiatrist from CoastSport, consults here at Tuggerah Medical Centre every Tuesday. Please call CoastSport on 02 4356 2588 to book an appointment.
Allied Health - Other Locations
Advanced Wound Care Services
Did you know: Nearly half a million Australians a day suffer from chronic wounds?
A specialist wound clinic called the Advanced Wound Care Service (AWCS) is now available at 2 of our practices:
Toukley Family Practice, 37-41 Canton Beach Road, Toukley and Mariners Medical, 3/1 Bryant Drive, Tuggerah. The clinic provides thorough assessment, treatment and management of complex chronic wounds that are proving difficult to heal, and is the only service of its kind available on the Central Coast located in a General Practice setting.
More about the Advanced Wound Care Service Clinic:
AWCS offers a comprehensive wound care service for the Central Coast community. This unique clinic utilises an integrated care approach involving an experienced team and services comprising of a qualified wound care nurse, GPs, Pain management, physiotherapy and other allied health support. AWCS clients are cared for as individuals who deserve highly personalised care and attention to ensure optimal healing.
Low frequency ultrasound is included in assisting wound therapy – this can help to kick start the wound healing process.
What is a chronic wound?
A chronic wound involves a wound ‘that is failing to heal as anticipated or that has been stuck in any one phase of wound healing for a period of six weeks or more’. The Australian Wound Management Association recommends you see an expert when a wound is proving difficult to heal.
In the past 4 weeks, have you or someone you care for experienced a wound that has:
- not improved
- increased in size
- become difficult to live with (pain/leakage/smell)
- interfered with everyday activities
- negatively impacted on sleep and rest
If you answered YES to one or more of the above questions, you should seek advice from a wound expert.
Our aim at Advanced Wound Care Service (AWCS) is to help you achieve optimal healing outcomes, whilst using a comprehensive range of products based on evidence based practice approach.
Why won’t wounds heal?
Many local and systemic factors can delay or impair wound healing, some of these factors may include:
- Malnutrition- inadequate supply of protein, carbohydrates, fatty acids, and trace elements essential for all phases of wound healing.
- Reduced Blood supply - Cardiovascular disorders and Ischemia.
- Medication - Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and Corticosteroids.
- Chemotherapy - suppresses the immune system and inflammatory response.
- Radiotherapy - increases production of free radical which damage cells.
- Psychological stress and lack of sleep- increase risk of infection and delayed healing.
- Obesity - decreases tissue perfusion.
- Infection -prolong inflammatory phase, use vital nutrients, impair epithelialisation and release toxins.
- Reduced wound temperature - prolonged dressing changes or use of cold cleansing products.
- Underlying Disease - Diabetes and Autoimmune disorders.
- Maceration - excess wound exudates or contact with bodily fluids reduces wound tensile strength.
- Inappropriate wound management
- Patient compliance
- Unrelieved pressure
- Substance abuse including alcohol and cigarette smoke
Studies show that patients who suffer from anxiety or depression about their physical condition usually experience a much slower healing process than those patients with an upbeat attitude.
Living with a wound, whether acute or chronic, entails lifestyle adjustments which can cause stress. Stress is proven to disrupt wound healing, primarily through its ability to increase the body’s level of glucocorticoids which suppresses immune responses, as well as reducing cellular immunity. However, with the proper physical and emotional support, patients can successfully navigate this journey and feel as though finally they are being heard and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
The AWCS clinic provides thorough assessment, treatment and management of complex chronic wounds that are proving difficult to heal, and is the only service of its kind available on the Central Coast located in a General Practice setting. This unique clinic utilises an integrated care approach involving an experienced team and services comprising of a qualified wound care nurse, GPs, Pain management, physiotherapy and other allied health support. AWCS clients are cared for as individuals who deserve highly personalised care and attention to ensure optimal healing.
The AWCS is run by RN Sharon Bradshaw who is a wound care and lymphedema nurse with over 20 years of field experience in wound care and many aspects of nursing. She is also undertaking a Cosmetic Dermatology course.
Call Toukley Family Practice on (02) 4352 8600 or Mariners Medical on (02) 4356 2555 to find out more.
Physiophix & Rehab Gym Phone 4396 1999
Physiophix is your modern physiotherapy clinic conveniently located on the ground floor within the Toukley Medical Complex, 35 - 37 Canton Beach Road, Toukley 2263 and on the first floor within the Warnervale Medical Complex, 3 Mary Mackillop Drive, Woongarrah.
Physiophix therapists offer comprehensive, individualised treatment for people of all ages and fitness levels.
Treatment at Physiophix typically involves a combination of techniques and exercises that address the whole body. This approach fixes the cause of your problems rather than focusing on the site of your symptoms alone. The result is effective pain relief with prolonged improvements in power, strength and performance for a better quality of life.
- Private Patients
- Workers Compensation
- Veteran’s Affairs
- Third Party/Motor Accidents
- Chronic Disease Management (CDM) Plan (Medicare Rebate)
Back and neck pain, sports injuries, headaches, rotator cuff problems, arthritis pain, shoulder pain, sciatica, scoliosis, foot, heel and ankle pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic pain, tennis elbow, dizziness and vertigo, whiplash, bursitis, joint replacements, nerve pain, trochanteric bursitis, hip and knee pain and post-operative rehabilitation.
Continence & Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation Clinic & Wave Chair Phone 4352 8600
Introducing "The Continence & Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation Clinic"
The Continence & Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation Clinic is situated on the ground floor within the Toukley Medical Complex, 35 - 37 Canton Beach Road, Toukley.
Tuggerah Medical Centre has embraced the exciting ExMI™ Pelvic Floor Therapy System, a non-surgical therapy for the treatment of urinary incontinence associated with stress & urge & mixed incontinence, prolapse & pelvic pain in women. The Wave Chair has also achieved excellent results for men suffering with incontinence & erectile dysfunction.
For patients whose incontinence is caused by a weakening of their pelvic floor muscles, The Wave Chair can offer unique therapeutic benefits.
Unlike other therapy options, the Wave Chair exercises all of the muscles in the pelvic floor to help rebuild strength and endurance and restore bladder control.
This is accomplished while you sit on the comfortable Wave Chair (fully clothed).
Appointments are available to patients of this practice and also private patients - please contact the surgery to make an appointment 4352 8600.
Advanced Wound Care Service Phone 4352 8600
Unfortunately the services provided by this clinic are temporarily suspended but will recommence in 2017. For further information please call our receptionists on (02) 4352 8600
Healthy Sleep Solutions Phone 4352 8600
Sleep Apnoea services
Our receptionist can give you information on referral to the Sleep Apnoea Clinic
For further information or to make an appointment please phone (02) 4352 8600.